Social networks have become an integral part of our lives.
From Facebook to Instagram, Twitter to Snapchat, TikTok to Pinterest – everyone uses social media platforms to connect with friends, share their thoughts, find inspiration and keep up to date with the news.
Not so long ago, social media was just a small slice of the marketing pie, but now it’s impossible to ignore. You can now find social media content in almost any marketing campaign.
And it’s no wonder marketers use these sites to reach potential customers and increase sales.
By the time you read this, over 3.2 billion images will be shared by social media users, 8 billion videos viewed on Facebook, and 65% of those views will come from mobile users, all in a single day. .
People are in love with social media platforms. Not a crush or an infatuation, but the type of love that keeps them awake at night and interferes when they try to focus – literally.
If you’re a business owner or marketer looking for ways to increase your business’ online visibility, here are some facts about social media marketing that might change the way you think about these platforms and their potential to reach your consumer.
30 insane facts about social media
There are plenty of stats out there to fill you in on every detail of social media, but a lot of them are – frankly – boring.
So why not lighten things up a bit?
You need to optimize your social media strategy and you need some numbers to get there.
We want to make it easy for you to enjoy, remember and apply what you learn, so here are 30 insane social media facts to ignite your marketing fire.
Social media usage statistics
1. We like to share love. The average internet user has 8.6 social media accounts.
2. The number of social media users has skyrocketed, with 72% of adults using at least one social network.
3. Young adults were early adopters of social media platforms. However, usage by seniors has continued to rise in recent years, with more people aged 50-64 using Facebook than people aged 18-29.
4. Need proof that we are a visual species? Today, more than 3.2 billion photos and 720,000 hours of video are shared on social media every day.
5. 59% of WhatsApp users and 53% of Facebook users in the US post content to their accounts.
6. We spend an average of 145 minutes a day on social media around the world.
Social Media Marketing Statistics
7. In Q3 2020, 10 million brands advertise on Facebook. This is a significant increase from 7 million advertisers in the first quarter of the previous year.
8. And that makes sense considering that 73% of marketers believe their social media marketing efforts have been “somewhat effective” or “very effective” for their business.
9. This includes B2B marketers who ranked social media advertising the second most successful (29%) behind paid search (33%) for driving content marketing results.
10. Social media ad spending in the United States was $40.3 billion in 2020.
11. According to a Dentsu report, boosted by 18% growth in social media, global digital ad spend is expected to grow 10.1% year-over-year.
Notable Instagram Facts We Bet You Never Knew
12. Instagram reports that 50% of users are more interested in a brand when they see ads for it on Instagram.
13. There are over 200 million Instagram business accounts. From medium-sized companies like Fashion Nova (20 million subscribers) to large giant corporations like Nike (90 million subscribers), it’s the ideal social platform for visibility and engagement.
14. There are over 2 billion monthly active users on Instagram.
15. Businesses use Instagram Stories or influencer marketing with around 500,000 active influencers who are only on Instagram.
16. Instagram users spend 30 minutes every day on Instagram. And for any brand, this kind of use of social media is a marketer’s dream.
For example, fashion brand Adore Me has achieved great results with its influencer marketing campaign on Instagram and Facebook.
Content shared by influencers had twice the click-through rate, a 7% higher sales conversion rate, and a 37% lower incremental cost per purchase compared to traditional creative ads.
YouTube’s hold on social media users and how to use it to your advantage
17. YouTube is responsible for over 25% of total global mobile traffic by volume.
18. It’s no surprise considering that social media users upload over 500 hours of content every minute! That’s more content than ABC, CBS and NBC combined, and enough to keep you glued to your screen – just what marketers need.
Moreover, even these streaming networks are now using social media (YouTube included) and it’s no surprise that they do.
19. YouTube has 2 billion monthly active online users worldwide. It feels like the whole world is on YouTube; you’ve probably even visited YouTube today.
Brands like Nectar use YouTube ads to increase brand visibility. After developing a performance-driven video ad creative that resulted in a 382% increase in brand engagement.
The Fascinating Social Media Statistics of TikTok
20. On average, TikTok users in the US spend 68 minutes per day on the website; 50 minutes of 15 second videos are accompanied by music videos. For the most part, the content revolves around lip-syncing, dancing, and comedy skits. It is mainly aimed at young people.
21. TikTok has the youngest user base of any social media site with 68% of its users under 30 and 28% under 18.
22. This is one of the main reasons TikTok grew its revenue year-over-year to $1.9 billion in 2020.
Looking at these statistics, the potential of social media marketing is stark.
23. Here is a platform dominated by young people and available in 154 countries around the world. Surprisingly, marketers are just catching up.
This is where you’re going to find a younger, more active global audience, just what Mango needed for its fashion brand.
Mango’s TikTok strategy that gained 14,000 followers
When the Spanish fashion brand Mango needed to get their name out there, they turned to TikTok’s TopView, an advertising tool designed to showcase your videos as soon as users fire up the app.
TopView ads are 60 seconds long, full screen and autoplay with sound.
For this reason, Mango used the tool to feature international influencers dressed in their outfits. Their videos featured official music and a call to action inviting viewers to join the Mango community.
On day one of going live, Mango’s videos had an engagement rate of 17.1%. In the days that followed, the brand saw an astonishing 1,900% increase in followers, from 700 to 14,000 TikTok followers.
An example supported by statistics on how to use social media.
Facebook’s Great Open Rate You Need to Know About
24. Companies on Facebook Messenger exchange more than 20 billion messages with consumers per month.
25. Facebook users spend 34 minutes a day checking their feeds, reacting to notifications and responding to messages.
26. 49% of Facebook users connect to the network several times a day.
27. But that’s not all: 41% of US social media users use Facebook to share engaging content, while 25% like a business post.
28. It’s no wonder there are over 10 million advertisers on the platform.
29. Of the ad clicks generated by these advertisers, more than 18% of American adults make a purchase.
30. All promising implications for a marketer looking to create ads for the 81% of Facebook users with incomes between $60,000 and $70,000.
It’s social media facts like these that inform a digital marketer’s decision when selecting a platform.
And, when you’re looking to generate leads, build brand awareness, or increase conversions, you need a platform that’s built for the job.
My English School’s Smart Facebook Strategy
Luigi Sguerri, Founder and CEO of My English School, needed an effective way to generate leads for My English School’s 33 branches across Italy. Not only that, he needed to turn those leads into conversions.
This meant finding people interested in learning English and likely to enroll.
Sguerri decided to use Facebook for the platform’s ability to target a broad but relevant range of potential customers, encourage action, and guide potential customers through the customer journey.
The strategy involved three campaigns targeting different audiences and ThruPlay billing.
- Mobile-friendly videos targeted people within 10 km of one of the branches.
- Lead ads targeted travelers, travel professionals, and people interested in travel.
- The conversion ads targeted teenagers as well as people between the ages of 55 and 65 who were interested in languages.
- ThruPlay billing ensured that they only paid for videos watched to completion.
Result in a month
My English School’s strategy earned them 4,000 quality leads in one month and at less than half the price of previous years’ campaigns.
That was twice as many leads as last year, 58% cheaper, and the best performance in company history.
Social media is constantly evolving and remains of crucial importance to your digital marketing strategy.
The first step is to become familiar with these facts about social media and some of the effective techniques that have been employed.
However, there is a lot more to creating a successful digital marketing plan.
For example, you may need to understand the different strengths and weaknesses of each platform or the best approaches to use.
Just showing up is not enough. You also need to understand the rules of the game and know how to stand out from the competition.
These 30 facts about social media are just a starting point. What you do with this information is entirely up to you, but we know we’ll see some pretty impressive results.
Featured image: Darko 1981/Shutterstock